Saturday, October 10, 2015

B283 - Week 3

As I mentioned last week, there are some changes at work and I am moving on to a new area. This week it was frustrating to see the lack of engagement from management to actually lead this change. Instead they simply decide to make a change, but leave it to the individuals involved to figure out if these changes are correct and more importantly work for the customer! Being who I am, I stepped in and made sure that the changes are communicated correctly and in a timely manner, but I am certain that nobody actually in charge noticed or was told about it by the managers whose job I did. That is the part that really annoys me. I have no problem stepping in, helping out, but at least I would like to see it benefiting my long term career goals! I guess I will have to do what so many of my co-workers do: Toot my own horn and make it know what a great guy I am.
Listening to the Acton video for Paul Radshaw this morning reminded me, though, that that is not who I really am. I am not a loud and obnoxious self-promoter! Instead I simply treat others like I would want to be treated, with loyalty and respect, always giving a helping hand, and focused more on the greater good than on how I can profit from a given situation.
So I've decided to simply carry on this next week, again helping out rather than focusing on just what benefits me. I will spend the week assisting one of my co-workers who is going to have to carry the biggest burden of these changes and hopefully earn some goodwill in the long run! Word of mouth is what I'm going for. That's much more beneficial than a flash in the pan.

Let's talk about the $100 challenge. I had the change this week to further talk to my contact and explain what I am planning to do with the printer cartridges. After hearing that this is a school project and that the profits would go towards a good cause, he simply offered me the cartridges for free! I just couldn't do that, though. Knowing how hard he works and how hot summers can get in Georgia, I offered him one of the large water coolers I won at work. He was ecstatic and grateful. I have five printer cartridges now for business level laser printers, that cost me nothing more than a dusty cardboard box with a new water cooler inside that had been sitting in my garage for two years!

No comments:

Post a Comment