Friday, November 6, 2015

B283 - Week 7

The other class I take this semester is ACCTG202. Accounting is a dry and difficult subject to begin with, at least for the majority of students who find joy in the real world, without numbers and T-accounts. The way BYUI is conducting the class, though, takes it to a whole new level. All homework, quizzes, teaching, and exams are conducted through a third party website owned by McGraw Hill. The weekly assignments are not only bone dry, they are dusty and antiquated! You would think that since we are 15 years now into the 21st century tools such as Excel or any other spreadsheet program would be not only allowed, but expected. Nope, not in this course! Instead you get out your rusty calculator and add/deduct everything by hand.
I'm all for understanding and being able to apply the basics of any subject, such as algebra, but when is the last time you've seen a real life accountant use a calculator? For the life of me I do not understand why students in this day and age are not being taught how to use basic accounting forms, use formulas, quickly double check data entry in an accounting spreadsheet and most importantly, be able to find an error in an accounting spreadsheet! Now that would be education worthy of admission.

Alas I only pay $65 per credit hour, I guess I get what I deserve!

I've finished the listings for my eBay auctions and am getting ready to post them this weekend. Hopefully by next week I've completed some of them and have started the shipping process!

No comments:

Post a Comment